[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3229: a bug which allow free users on wordpress.com to add google webmaster tool to wordpress blog

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 26 19:10:46 UTC 2017

#3229: a bug which allow free users on wordpress.com to add google webmaster tool
to wordpress blog
-------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  kingmedo208  |       Owner:
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
Changes (by tobifjellner):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid

Comment:

 Hi @kingmedo208
 Welcome to WordPress.org meta tracker. Here we follow up on issues and
 development around WordPress.org.

 1. You're writing about WordPress.com which is different from
 WordPress.org.
 You may read more about the differences at
 https://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/
 I'm going to close this ticket as invalid, since you should have made this
 report to support.WordPress.com instead.
 But read on!

 2. Google webmaster is a tool that lives completely on google's own
 servers. Nothing is installed in your own blog. But – if you manage to
 prove to google that you're the owner of a site, they may give you some
 inside access about things that concern your site.
 On the page that you linked, there are some fields where you can enter
 long "ownership proof" strings that you'll find in the user interface of
 google webmaster when you try to add your blog.
 So this functionality is fully OK and even intentional!

 3. If you would ever find a security hole somewhere, please bear in mind,
 that most organizations have separate, more secure ways for people to
 report about security issues. This ticket system, is public, and anything
 we write here can be read by anyone, even by evil hackers, who might not
 yet know about the issue you wanted to inform about.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3229#comment:1>