[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3201: Improve CampTix 'Notify' function, including adding auto-save and an Editor-style email composition

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 15 19:46:36 UTC 2017

#3201: Improve CampTix 'Notify' function, including adding auto-save and an
Editor-style email composition
----------------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  alicestill                  |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement                 |      Status:  new

Comment (by iandunn):

 Replying to [comment:2 Gabe462]:
 > 1: add javascript to this page along the lines of
 > window.onbeforeunload = function () {
 > return "Are you sure?";
 > }

 That sounds good. It might help a bit to explicitly tell the user that
 there is unsaved content, in case they're confused about why they're being
 prompted.

 > 2: Add a "load" link at the right of each email in the table. enable
 "show_in_rest" for the tix_email cpt for this page, and fetch the id
 corresponding to  the email clicked. The title and content are written to
 the Subject and Message fields.

 Hmmm, I'm not sure what a good way to do this would be. Ideally we'd want
 to reuse as much from Core as possible, since it already has this
 functionality built in.

 Maybe this whole feature should be re-thought, since switching it from an
 admin page to use the regular CPT interface would give us the rich editor,
 auto-save, and viewing past emails, all for free. That could also be a big
 rabbit hole, and take longer than just adding things piecemeal, though.

 We'd have to migrate the existing functionality into the CPT interface,
 but that might not be too much work. That might be worth exploring a bit,
 just to get a feel for what it'd take.

 If it looks like it'll be a big project, then it might be worth holding
 off on it, since we've also discussed some plans to possibly migrate away
 from CampTix in the future. So, I'd suggest maybe playing around with it a
 little while, just to get a feel for how long it'd take, but don't get too
 deep into it. If it looks like it'll be relatively painless, then that
 might be a good option, but otherwise it's probably not where we want to
 be investing time at the moment.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3201#comment:3>