[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify a phrase)

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 16 13:47:57 UTC 2017

#2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify
a phrase)
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gibrown           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by quantumcloud):

 100% agreed. The search results are quite polluted with false positives
 from big names. I reported the issue multiple times but nothing has been
 done on it so far. The highest priority seems to be that the big names
 show up for the most popular searches on 1st page. All other searches and
 the search result quality are largely ignored at this point. Not to
 mention how next to impossible it has become for new plugin developers to
 gain any momentum as they start with 0 active installs. New WordPress
 plugin developers can pretty much forget about their plugins ever getting
 downloaded from the repository through organic searches.

 Truly hope that the situation is rectified asap.

 Replying to [comment:27 gsexton]:
 > I'm seeing cases where search relevancy is overwhelmed by large numbers
 of downloads. For example, if you search for the single word "calendar",
 JetPack is listed in the results of page 1. I looked at the readme.txt
 file and found that it contains that keyword exactly one time. Evidently,
 it's massive installed base overwhelms many plugins that from a straight
 textual analysis are vastly more relevant.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2642#comment:28>