[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify a phrase)

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 2 16:28:51 UTC 2017

#2642: Better boosting for phrase matches (or add support for the user to specify
a phrase)
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  gibrown           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by gibrown):

 Hi @yani.iliev thanks for the feedback very helpful, will look into these.
 On

 > Stemming is not very good

 We are intentionally using minimal stemming so for English we are only
 removing plurals. Very aggressive stemming like you suggest tends to
 reduce search relevancy based on most of the papers I have read. A good
 one looking at stemming in various languages is
 https://www.ercim.eu/publication/ws-proceedings/CLEF2/savoy.pdf

 Off the top of my head, a good example where more aggressive stemming
 would hurt us is "stored", "store", and "storing". This change would
 likely boost some popular plugins that are storing data into the results
 for building an e-commerce "store".

 It may be interesting to try more aggressive stemming as a boost, but I
 think the impact would be marginal at best and we don't really have the
 A/B testing infrastructure in place to evaluate such a change. (I wish we
 did because I'd really like to know what impact this would have).

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2642#comment:24>