[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2204: Forum RSS Feed Issues
noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 3 19:01:18 UTC 2016
#2204: Forum RSS Feed Issues
Reporter: dglingren | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: normal | Milestone:
Component: General | Keywords:
The RSS feeds generated by the new Plugin Directory platform have a number
of drawbacks/defects compared to the feeds that were generated by the old
1. When a new reply is posted to a topic:
* The "forum-level" feed (e.g. https://wordpress.org/support/plugin
/media-library-assistant/feed) generates a copy of the initial post for
the topic, with the initial date/time and author. This is almost useless;
you have to go back to the forum to access the text of the update and see
who posted it.
* The "topic-level" feed (e.g. https://wordpress.org/support/topic
/importing-photoshop-iptc-data-into-wordpress/feed ) generates an update
with the correct text, date/time and author.
* The email message generated for "subscribers" to the topic also has
the correct information, but the message comes as plain-text so markup for
code blocks, lists, etc. is lost.
2. When the original post in a topic was modified, the feed generates and
ongoing stream of "updates" identical to the original except for the "This
topic was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by ..." text. This makes it hard to
identify topics with genuine updates.
3. When updates are posted to old topics (e.g. started 8 months ago), no
RSS feed update is generated. It is hard to know when new activity occurs
in an old topic.
1. The subject line no longer includes the plugin name, which makes it
harder to organize an archive by plugin.
2. The subject line no longer includes the post author, which would be
fine if the actual author value was set correctly.
3. The subject line now identifies "[Resolved]" topics, but not any other
In short, RSS updates should contain:
* The actual text of the update, with HTML markup
* The actual date/time of the update
* The actual author of the update
* A subject line that includes the plugin name and perhaps the current
status in addition to the topic title.
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2204>
Making WordPress.org <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/>
More information about the wp-meta