[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1524: WordPress.org SSO: custom template handling and CSS for login-related screens

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 21 16:18:13 UTC 2016

#1524: WordPress.org SSO: custom template handling and CSS for login-related
screens
--------------------------+---------------------------------------
  Reporter:  stephdau     |      Owner:  stephdau
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  assigned
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  has-screenshots has-patch
--------------------------+---------------------------------------

Comment (by melchoyce):

 Hey Mark,

 I think this is a good exploration, but for now it's a little too much of
 a departure from our current design language on WordPress.org. I think the
 decision to go dark is bold, but a little too drastic to suddenly
 introduce on one screen. If we want to go in a dark direction overall, it
 would be good to build that up over the course of a couple iterations on
 multiple screens to keep it more cohesive. However, I don't think that
 dark is a great direction for us to be going with — we've received a lot
 of feedback in the past that the dark admin color scheme feels unwelcoming
 and unfriendly. I think that moving WordPress.org in that direction, when
 the goal of the site is to bring people into the WordPress community,
 could be a step backwards. Dark can look really nice and modern, but I
 think for a community like WordPress, it needs to be balanced with a lot
 of light.

 If this is useful to think about, when we were first reskinning the admin,
 the idea behind the MP6 design language was that all content was on a
 white sheet of paper that was laid on top of the dark background that
 makes up the admin bar and navigation column. So to extend that metaphor
 to a .org login screen, the background could be dark, but the actual login
 form should be on a white “sheet."

 I had a chance last night to review some of your earlier mockups, and I
 think some of them were heading in a better direction. I used them as a
 jumping point to come up with a couple more ideas, which I'll attach to
 this ticket.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1524#comment:22>