[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1587: Users with a space in their username cannot log in via https://login.wordpress.org.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 23 12:00:19 UTC 2016

#1587: Users with a space in their username cannot log in via
https://login.wordpress.org.
---------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  netweb               |       Owner:
     Type:  defect               |      Status:  new
Changes (by netweb):

 * keywords:  reporter-feedback =>

Comment:

 Indeed it was a specific user: https://profiles.wordpress.org/robin-w

 I was given the password to login and test it myself and based on all the
 permutations/combinations list above none would work, the workaround was
 to create a new w.org user which is this user
 [https://profiles.wordpress.org/robinwilson @robinwilson] for a temporary
 solution.

 The only successful login I was able to achieve was via the login form
 here https://wordpress.org/support/ with the username `Robin W` and his
 password.

 This was all in order to get Robin on Slack and the log in tests were all
 performed whilst attempting to have the Slack signup page acknowledge that
 he was logged in at login https://chat.wordpress.org, even once logging in
 at https://wordpress.org/support/ subsequently navigating to
 https://chat.wordpress.org would show he was not logged in.

 You can also see on his main profile page
 https://profiles.wordpress.org/robin-w that the his plugins he has
 authored are not listed, e.g https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/browser
 /bbp-style-pack, his commits are in his profile via the BuddyPress
 activity though.

 What I see as the ideal scenario would be jumping into the database and
 performing some whitespace and hypen surgery on his username, I know this
 scenario is rarely offered because of the complexity involved, though I
 would ask that this be considered in this case if I could please. A couple
 of important considerations are for obvious reasons he does not want to
 lose commit access for his plugins and I do not want his ~4,000 awesome
 bbPress contributions to the forums or bbPress Codex affected
 https://bbpress.org/forums/profile/robin-w/

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1587#comment:3>