[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #100: Searching by author requires exact match of username; doesn't show partial matches or search real names

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 23 00:25:04 UTC 2016

#100: Searching by author requires exact match of username; doesn't show partial
matches or search real names
------------------------------+------------------
 Reporter:  transom           |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 Currently the new directory is using the `author_name` `WP_Query` arg to
 search for plugins by an author, so it's limited to an exact match on
 w.org user *nicename*.

 There's no reason we can't change that to instead search by data stored
 within ElasticSearch. @tellyworth knows far more about ES though, so
 everything that follows is my best-guess.

 @tellyworth I'm thinking we could pass data to `WP_Query` such as `[ 's'
 => 'Dion', 's_type'  => 'author' ]` and have the ES search flip which
 fields are searched upon by the `s_type` parameter?
 We might need to index contributor names / committer names a little
 differently though as well, AFAIK, currently it only has access to
 user_nicename's in the search index? if we were searching upon the
 `header_author` meta it'd also be good to search upon contributors
 display_name for example.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/100#comment:7>