[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #923: WordPress Theme/Plugin updater is based on folder name rather than theme/plugin name set in file 😕

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 3 11:47:05 UTC 2015

#923: WordPress Theme/Plugin updater is based on folder name rather than
theme/plugin name set in file 😕
------------------------+-------------------------------
Reporter:  nvartolomei  |      Owner:
    Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Hello,

 I just noticed updates for themes that have folder name Discovery for
 example, even if I change theme name in style.css I can still see updates,
 afaik WordPress.org used theme name before to check for updates and not
 folder name.

 The same applies for plugin, some of our clients already did accidental
 updates. Now I should rename all folders that matches some on
 WordPress.org, why you don't check theme name too? Or theme author?

 Now I can't have fancy names for folders with home made things 😕