[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #915: More information to enable making plugin update decisions on plugin stats tab

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 2 10:48:02 UTC 2015

#915: More information to enable making plugin update decisions on plugin stats
tab
--------------------------+-------------------------------
  Reporter:  galbaras     |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  closed
Resolution:  wontfix      |   Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------
Changes (by dd32):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 Although some plugins use x.y.z.?, we'll only be supporting these stats on
 x.y for ghee foreseeable future.

 The main reasons behind this are
 - the majority of plugins use x.y.z,
 - grouping on major versions is granular enough for most authors I spoke
 to (including several who use x.y.z.?)
 - grouping by different depths for different plugins requires a
 significantly different stats approach that couldn't be used(due to
 generation time)

 Although the version usage numbers can be inferred for most plugins from
 the active number, that's not really useful as a plugin grows (since it
 becomes 10,000+/100'000+/500,000+/1+ million).

 For now this is a wontfix, but future iterations might change things.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/915#comment:2>