[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #802: Requirements page should recommend supported and secure PHP and MySQL versions

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 29 11:58:28 UTC 2015

#802: Requirements page should recommend supported and secure PHP and MySQL
versions
---------------------------+--------------------------
  Reporter:  andreafaulds  |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Resolution:                |   Keywords:  dev-feedback
---------------------------+--------------------------

Comment (by andreafaulds):

 That's certainly an improvement, thanks!

 However, I still think the wording could be improved. It's really
 important that 5.4+ isn't just "recommended", but marked as less secure
 (which it is). It's all very well telling people to use suPHP, but if
 they're running 5.2 their site is potentially vulnerable.

 Something like this might be better:

 > To run WordPress your host just needs a couple of things:

 > * PHP version 5.4 or greater
 > * MySQL version 5.5 or greater

 > Note: If you are in a legacy environment where you only have older PHP
 or MySQL versions, WordPress also works with PHP 5.2.4+ and MySQL 5.0+,
 but these versions have reached official End Of Life and as such '''will
 expose your site to security vulnerabilities.'''

 This reframes it. Rather than it being 5.2+ with 5.4 recommended, it's
 5.4+ with 5.2 being an option if you're in a legacy environment, but
 you're warned about security.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/802#comment:9>