[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #457: Separate Plugin Description (Webpages) From Readme.txt File to Allow Editing Web Interface

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 14 22:29:26 UTC 2014

#457: Separate Plugin Description (Webpages) From Readme.txt File to Allow
Editing Web Interface
--------------------------+-------------------------------
  Reporter:  Kelderic     |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  new
Resolution:               |   Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------

Comment (by coffee2code):

 It's an interesting idea that would certainly be handy for plugin
 developers.

 However, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. If for no other reason than
 the fact that we lose the ability for readme changes to be tracked via
 version control. There are unscrupulous plugin authors out there (and more
 who would emerge) who would look to abuse a system in which they have more
 direct, untracked access to the content on the plugin pages. Were we to do
 this, there would have to be related effort to log and police this
 feature. As @Otto42 says, definitely longer term.

 (Not to mention how difficult this would be to implement currently, and
 then having to deal with the plugin pages being rendered from two possible
 sources: the version controlled readme.txt and the in-page edited readme.)

 I think what's really being requested is the ability to preview a readme
 and not so much the need to forego having to commit it. The request could
 boil down to a paste-and-preview of the readme content for a plugin author
 on their own plugin pages.

 A second iteration enhancement of this simpler notion would be to add an
 in-session tool for plugin authors. The readme editor could be used as
 proposed, rendering the edited readme for the plugin author as if it were
 the plugin's readme. Once it looks the way they want it to, it could be
 exported and committed by the author to become available to all.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/457#comment:5>