[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #114: Add a wp-org-parent theme that child themes can inherit the global header and footer from.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 11 20:05:00 UTC 2013

#114: Add a wp-org-parent theme that child themes can inherit the global header
and footer from.
------------------------------+-----------------------
  Reporter:  georgestephanis  |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  closed
Resolution:  wontfix          |   Keywords:  has-patch
------------------------------+-----------------------
Changes (by Otto42):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 After looking at this for a while, I actually now agree with nacin. We
 tend to use child themes for customization of things on org later. And
 while it's fine to do it as a child for ease-of-development, when we make
 them live they need to be directly referencing the header/footers instead
 of being a child themselves.

 The meta.svn isn't necessarily a repository where we're making code
 available for others to use themselves, it's our code that we're using,
 made public so that we can more easily accept bugfixes on it and such. The
 use of a parent to make the children less site-dependent is unnecessary
 because everything in meta.svn is okay to be site-dependent.

 Abstraction is nice, but this is a very small abstraction to codify into a
 parent theme and cause us the grandchild problem later down the road.

--
Ticket URL: <http://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/114#comment:4>
Making WordPress.org <http://meta.trac.wordpress.org/>