[wp-hackers] PHP requirement for plugins

Chloé Desoutter chloe.desoutter+wphackers at gmail.com
Tue May 3 08:29:24 UTC 2016

Hello,

I don't mean to troll but why as plug-in/theme developers should we
consider supporting obsolete, unmaintained versions of PHP that will suffer
from huge security flaws?

This grasping to past versions, broadest compatibility, etc. hinders with
providing secure, reliable code.

We should be the ones pushing hosters and hoster customers towards newer,
better supported code versions.

That said, your version test code needs to be the first called by your
plug-in and to refrain from using newer syntactic elements that would cause
parse errors.

Yours sincerely,