[wp-hackers] WordPress.Org plugins directory search suggestion

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Sat Nov 21 11:10:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

I didn't want to post this to the wordpress.org plugins email address,
as I realise that's busy enough for the team there and didn't want to
force them to read it. But, if anyone has time to here (and a public
answer that's Googleable might not hurt)...

The wordpress.org plugins directory always returns any plugin whose slug
you enter exactly as the #1 result. That's hard-wired. That seems
reasonable - if someone searches directly for something, then that
should come first.

However, that breaks down badly when slugs are very generic terms -
especially single words.

e.g.:

* "Backup". The result is unmaintained for 3 years, tested up to WP 3.4,
and is only for Google Drive, using a Google API that doesn't exist any
more - so, useless.

* "Contact" - brings up a plugin last modified > a year ago, tested up
to WP 4.0.

* "Pinterest" - brings up a plugin last updated  4 years ago, tested up
to WP 3.3. (I realise that a new submission of this sort would fail the
new trademark policy).

It seems to me that at a minimum, the "always return a plugin whose slug
exactly matches" should not apply on single-word searches. Otherwise,
even with the new trademark policy preventing some abuses, users are
stuck with rubbish/obsolete search results on some common terms for all
eternity.

David

--
UpdraftPlus - best WordPress backups - http://updraftplus.com