[wp-hackers] single quote in content ends up as Unicode Character 'RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK'

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Tue May 27 11:39:42 UTC 2014

Otto,

I've found a solution to the issue. ( I tested and saw it works )

I simply switched point of views: Instead of protecting the structured data
within the <code></code> area ( which is problematic as my prev message
pointed out) and make that section immune to the wptexturize, I went the
other way. I made the entire shortcode to be exempt from the wptexturize
and mark the content-content section  using a non-HTML delim (that the
visual tab editor cannot do anything about ) and apply the wptexturize
myself in the back end.

The simple steps are as follows;

step 1
use the no_texturize_shortcodes filter and made the shortcode to be exempt.

step 2
simply wrap the content area in my shortcode that I want to be processed by
wptexturize in {content}{content} delims.

step 3
in the back end, when processing the $content in my shortcode function,
simply do

$content = wptexturize($content);

- to apply the wptexturize magic over that section

This gives me piece of mind that the section that is not wrapped in
{content}{content}  blocks are not processed by the wptexturize - thanks to
the step 1.

This approach has solved my problem.

Now I will see what I can do to do for the little brother of wptexturize
which is wpautop. :)