[wp-hackers] GSOC 2014 - "Websockets" Project Interest

Md. Ali Ahsan Rana aliahsanrana at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 19:40:24 UTC 2014

Hi All,
I am a masters student at Concordia University, montreal, canada. I am
interested in the "Websockets" project that is listed on GSOC 2014 project
idea list.

I have checked the related project: http://socketo.me/ and seems to me the
approach could be:

1) Check whether server can offer opening new ports(which won't be possible
on shared servers etc).
2) If yes, dynamically create server to listen api calls. And set session
settings so that further API calls to be done here.

However, I am confused about few things:

* Does it required to be implemented as a modular independent plugin or as
a part of core?
* Which functionality/facility scope should be covered under this websocket
feature? I guess, all remote api, ajax calls could be done easily. Am I
wrong?

Wish to look forward to hear your feedbacks and further suggestions soon.

Regards

Rana