[wp-hackers] Fwd: [GSoC - 2014] Introducing Myself

Deven Bansod devenbansod.bits at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 18:36:17 UTC 2014

Hi Ian ! Thanks for the wonderful Advices and Thoughts. !

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:59 PM, Ian Dunn <ian at iandunn.name> wrote:

> * Because the plugin will use custom post types, it's not necessary to
> bulid a custom CSV exported. WordPress' export tool will already recognize
> the data and is able to export it just like it would with standard posts
> and pages.
>
> In general, it's always best if you can leverage Core's API to do
> something in a standard way, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Oh. Yes ! That would be make it really much simpler. And yes, doing the
same thing, for which a better solution is already available won't make
sense. ! This is how I am understanding the power of Open Source!

> * JavaScript can be used for data-validation on the client-side, to give
> the user immediate feedback when they enter something invalid, but it's
> important to remember that it also needs to be validated on the
> server-side, since nothing on the client side can be trusted from a
> security standpoint.
>

> Validating on the client side is optional and improves UX, but validating
> on the server side is mandatory to prevent things like SQL injection.

Yes. I have been thinking on the same lines that JS will provide the UX
improving things such as Prompts to check a blank submission and all. And
yes I fully understand that Server side Validation will be most important
with preventing SQL injections and we can then provide the options for
Unique Applicants and many such things to build on it. !

> * It's important to use gender-neutral language. The WordPress community
> has a very high percentage of women involved at all levels, and using only
> masculine pronouns can be unintentionally dismissive and exclusive.

Thanks for this one ! The newbies in the Developer culture (like me) tend
to forget these small but very important details. It was nice of you to
remind us about it. I will surely take care of it in future.

> Other than that, your proposal looks good and is on the right track. If
> you haven't already, just make sure you're following the other discussions
> about the Forms project on wp-hackers and #wordpress-gsoc so that you can
> learn from them as well.

Yes, I have been regularly following the other Discussions on the Forms
Project on the wp-hackers and I must say others doubts, ideas or your and
others suggestions/replies to them has helped me learn alot and answers
half of my questions there only. I will now try to be present on
#wordpress-gsoc chats too.

> I also noticed you've got a few plugins in the wordpress.org repository,
> which is great! That'll give you valuable experience and help you get
> started quicker if your proposal is accepted. I took a quick look at them
> and have a few suggestions:
>
> * Instead of echo'ing HTML via PHP, you can close the PHP tag and output
> the HTML raw, with PHP tags inserted as needed. That makes it much easier
> to read.

> * It's important to use meaningful variable names. Names like $a and $r
> require anyone reading the code to go through it line by line to figure out
> what it's doing, rather than it being obvious.
>

> * It's best to follow the WordPress coding standards at
> http://make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/coding-standards/ so that your
> code is consistent with the rest of the community.

I had read the Coding Standards at the start but there I had neglected
it. But now, recently I have been working on beautifying my code of the 2
plugins, changing the Variable Names to some logical ones and would be
issuing a new commit to the plugins soon. I now understand that in any
piece of code, its readability impacts how other developers perceive your
code.

I would make all these suggested changes and then submit my proposal.

Anyways, thanks alot Ian ! For helping us out all these days and being
patient enough to answer all our queries/doubts so nicely.

It has a been great Experience to interact with all on the list. Hoping to
continue and grow our interaction in coming days!

Thanks.!

Cheers,
Deven
* <f2012316 at pilani.bits-pilani.ac.in>*