[wp-hackers] Downloading Source code and configuring for development

Madalin Ignisca madalin.ignisca at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 08:24:14 UTC 2014

There isn't a best "recipe" for development with WordPress.

Some people prefer classic ways like code editors, text/console: vim, nano;
gui: sublime-text, brackets, notepad++, gedit, komodo edit etc.

Others use full IDEs like Eclipse, Aptana, Zend Studio, Netbeans, PHPStorm
etc.

If you prefer an IDE, make a new project out of the base directory of your
local WordPress installation and follow the normal way of building new
plugins or themes. If you're into working on the core, then dig more from
here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Contributing_to_WordPress.

Something I prefer:

I use Puphpet (https://puphpet.com/) to generate some startup scripts and
configs for virtual machines used for php projects (one for mysql/mariadb
and several others for different versions of php, testing with nginx and
apache etc.) - that offered me an environment easier to maintain and 100%
identical between my desktop and my laptop so I can work anywhere.

I have several WordPress installations that are linked (not possible under
Windows, you need to make them in the shared folder of a machine and can't
link between them, Windows doesn't supports soft linking) to the shared
folders of this machines and serve for a few projects. This way I'm working
in Netbeans (my preferred IDE) with only a few projects opened, but I'm
able to test on multiple configurations much faster.

Also the virtual machines are configured from start to support Xdebug and
debugging it's so simple this way.

For version control I use git, that also has subversion capability and I
don't have to learn two different tools for the same scope. This helps me a
lot and also helps me collaborate very easy with other people on some of
the projects.

So, best is you should "build" your preferred development environment based
on how you're working with Web/PHP projects, as it's similar to other CMS's
or PHP frameworks (I also use it for Symfony and Drupal identical).

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Dulanga Sashika <wadsashika at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am really interested in Wordpress and I need to be a part of the
> Wordpress family. I looked at the project ideas of Gsoc 2014 which you have
> given and I am interested in the "Group Theme/Plugin Combo" project. I
> tried to download the source code and configure it in my computer to get a
> better idea about the wordpress. But I couldn't do it properly. Do I need
> to use any specific IDE to develop in this project? How can I properly
> download this project and configure it for development? I really appreciate
> if you can give instructions about that.
>
> Thank You
> Yours Sincerely,
>
> W. A. Dulanga Sashika,
> Undergraduate Student,
> Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
> University of Moratuwa.

*Madalin Ignisca*
*web developer*
http://imadalin.ro/