[wp-hackers] Gsoc 2014 Multisite - Plugin for sharing database data between sites

Utkarsh Dixit utkarsh.dixit11 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 13:49:33 UTC 2014

Hi,
As stated on the gsoc page one of the use cases can be of a shopping cart
across a network.

We can start by dedicating a sql table in the database for such items which
have to be shared across the cart (Every item has a unique id). Now, for
each site we could probably give the admin of that site the choice to
select the products which he wants to display on his site (and add these
values along with their unique ids in the table dedicated for that
particular site). We can then use inner sql joins to create a connection
between this new table and the table of the main admin. In this way whole
stocks can be shared across an e-commerce website, along with quantities
and other datas associated with them.

I just wanted to know whether this approach solves the problem at hand. I
might be wrong in the interpretation of the problem, please correct me. Any
suggestions changes etc. are most welcome :)