[wp-hackers] choosing plural vs singular words in taxonony names in URIs

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 13:42:15 UTC 2014

I know this is very subjective, but the more I pick the highly up-scale
brains like the great minds of this list, the better it is. so excuse me if
you find this question a little odd.

here is the situation

say, you got a taxonomy called "Channels" and you got terms under it such
as "Debates", "Interviews", "PodCasts" etc...

should the url's for these terms read as

your-site.com/channels/debates

or

your-site.com/channel/debates

If this was a straight english grammar, we'd be saying "Debates Channel".
No dispute on that...

But here in a url structure, can't start with the term first.

So I'm wondering which of the above structures, in the
broken-english-structure-of URLs be better?  channels/debates or
channel/debates

Or is this something like case by case? What's the handle or guide in
deciding on these things?

I hope you don't find this question odd and shoot me down. :)

Please note the only difference between the two is on the taxonomy name,
NOT on the term. For some reason, it seems to be pretty clear that the term
( the "debates" part ) needs to be plural. But, please feel free to
challenge me even on that. I'd only appreciate it.

Thank you