[wp-hackers] Change the user avatar url to a user meta field url?

BenderisGreat greglancaster71 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 10:03:36 UTC 2014

I know there are plugins for handling a local user avatar, but it seems like
a giant pain in the ass to code something myself for this.  I even asked
around and was told to just use a plugin, but I cannot package someone elses
plugin with what I am making.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to replace the user avatar with a user
meta field that points to a url.  I know it wont technically be an avatar in
wordpress' eyes, but this would be much simple to allow front end avatar
uploading.  Just select an image, store the url in a custom field, and then
have the avatar call redirected to look at the users avatar meta field.

Is this a realistic solution?