[wp-hackers] Simplest way to create a custom language pack for the purpose of markup only?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 25 06:26:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Aahan Krish <krish+wphackers at aahan.me> wrote:
> WPLANG option in the individual site settings in network admin won't save
> until there are necessary language files. Hence the question, what's the
> simplest way to create language files?

The simplest way would be to contribute to the existing translations:
http://translate.wordpress.org

Alternatively, get the POT files and use your own po-editing tool of
choice to make a translation yourself:
http://i18n.svn.wordpress.org/pot/tags/3.8/

> Can I simply download the UK English (en_GB) version of WordPress and
> simply replace all instances of en_GB in the language file names (files
> residing in wp-content/languages) with en_IN? Is that sufficient?

Yes, it's simply reading the filenames to determine what languages are
installed.

> If yes (to the question right above), where can I get the language files
> for en_US? I'd prefer US English to UK English in the dashboard; I am used
> to it.

There is no set of en_US files, as that's the fallback position. It's
what is translated from, not to.

-Otto