[wp-hackers] How I kludged a new image for TwentyThirteen

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Feb 25 01:21:38 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Not liking any of the images provided with the TwentyThirteen theme, I
made my own image and thumbnail in Inkscape. I made them the same size
as the original three, and named them just like the original three (I
called mine sky.png and sky-thumbnail.png.

However, no matter how many times I logged out and in and restarted
apache2, I couldn't select my new image. Copying my images over
circle.png and circle-thumbnail.png showed that the problem was that
the list of images was something other than the contents of
wp-content/themes/twentythirteen/images/headers, and a grep command
(grepped for "circle") showed file
wp-content/themes/twentythirteen/inc/custom-header.php, which contained
an array of the three images I saw in the header image selection. So I
made a fourth element in the array for my Sky images, saved, logged out
and in again, and my Sky image is now available as a header image.

There's probably a better/easier way to do it, but I couldn't find it
with Google.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

SteveT