[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Peter van der Does peter at avirtualhome.com
Wed Feb 19 22:15:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:52:00 +0000
Harry Metcalfe <harry at dxw.com> wrote:

SNIP

> To solve these problems, we decided have a list of things that we
> think are important
> (https://security.dxw.com/about/plugin-inspections/) and to record
> the results of inspections somewhere so we didn't duplicate work. We
> did this in private for a while but then thought that this was
> probably information that others might find useful. So, we decided to
> publish the results.

I love these rules for failing a plugin:

Poor coding style
Exhibits the characteristics of poor coding style, including (but not limited to):
    Lack of indenting
    Inconsistent indenting
    Lack of clear commenting where it would be appropriate; ie, to
    explain complex functionality or dense code

The lack of good style must materially reduce the tester's ability to
understand what the code is doing, thereby indicating that the lack of
good style has reduced code readability and maintainability.

Does the end user really care how the code is written?
The grade depends on the expertise of the testers. What makes them
qualified to give this grade? Do they have a PHP certification, what's
their background?

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: CB317D6E