[wp-hackers] GSoC Idea: WordPress Backup and Migration
varun at varunagw.com
Tue Feb 11 11:33:09 UTC 2014
*I know its quite early for presenting and idea, but I am really excited
about WordPress for GSoC 2014. So, here is my idea:*
- There are a large base of user who use WordPress for their
personal/small sites. In most of these cases, they are the only
administrator and generally have no knowledge about making backups, using
plugins,...Even a lot of experienced WordPress users make mistake of
- There are lot of cases when the WordPress installation get corrupted
due to a numerous issues. Because of this, WordPress installation including
databases get corrupted which cause a big trouble to a lot of peoples those
don't have backups.
- There should be *core functionality* that will allows them to make
backups. Before starting an upgrade, users will asked to create a backups
and download them.
- It will also have an inbuilt feature that will check if user is
restoring a backup on the same directory of same site or not. If website
URL is different or maybe directory is different, it will automatically
update the URL's and path's after getting a confirmation from user.
It will have two functionalities: Backup and Restore
- *Backup:* There will a form that will ask confirmation from user to
create a backup. Once confirmed, it will export the database and zip
database along with all files in an compressed archive and save it in a
directory chosen by user. It will also prompt user to download the archive.
- *Restore:* It will be a small wizard that can be loaded after
extracting a backup on the server and visiting it through the browser. It
will first check if it is loaded on same URL from which site is backed and
also if the database exist. If they are different, it will ask for a new
database setting, restore database settings and finally correct the links
if site is on a different URL.
- It will encourage users to create backup before upgrading WordPress.
- Corrupted WordPress installation and hacked sites can also be easily
restored by users.
- Since it will be a core functionality, a lot of people who are not
aware of making backup and making will start creating backups.
- Creating backups will not require much technical knowledge so the
process will be smooth for even beginner users.
- Lastly, it will helpful to people who are planning to change their
domain names, web host or the developers who generally keep develop on
their PC and later upload it to the hosting service.
If you have any question or feedback, please let me know.
More information about the wp-hackers