[wp-hackers] Static string in permalinks and page with the same name, bad?

Aahan Krish krish+wphackers at aahan.me
Fri Feb 7 08:28:27 UTC 2014

Hello Otto,

I should have been more clear. I do know that the performance issues have
been fixed in 3.3. I wasn't talking about that.

If I am not wrong, WordPress builds the rewrite rules and stores somewhere
in the database for quick lookup. So when a post/page is requested in
quickly goes through the rules and shows the relevant page. The complex the
lines).

I want to make it *as easy/fast as possible* for wordpress to differentiate
between posts, pages and other post types. One way to do it, I read, is to
start the permalink structure with a numeric (Post ID, Year, Month, Date)
or static string (as in my case "archives") and end the permalink structure
with something unique (Post ID or Postname).

Considering that, theoretically, these permalink structures would perform
best (descending order):

- /archives/%post_id% or /archives/%postname%/

- /%post_id%/%postname%/ or /%year%/%postname%/

Of course, I do acknowledge that there are no "performance issues" with
other permalinks, but better is still better, IMHO.

Considering that I am correct so far, does using the static string
'archives' help in *my case*? (Because I also have a page with the same
slug, all explained again below.)

I am using a static string 'archives' in my permalinks, and my blog's

I want a static homepage to be displayed on the home page, so I created two
new pages: 'Home (home)' and a blank page called 'Archives (archives)'. In
Dashboard > Settings > Reading, the 'Front page displays' option is set to
a static page, with the page 'Home (home)' acting as the front page and the
page 'Archives (archives)' acting as the blog archive.

Considering that I am already using 'archives' as a static string in my
string actually help as it usually would in normal cases?

Or should the static string be changed to something unique (e.g. different
from any page, category, tag, or post slug)?