[wp-hackers] Language packs for plugins

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Fri Dec 12 22:20:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying the current status of language packs for plugins -
particularly, how WordPress and wordpress.org are handling the removal
of translations from plugin downloads themselves, to shrink their size.

I noticed that WooCommerce had removed their language packs from their
plugin. But, https://github.com/woothemes/woocommerce/issues/5485 seems
to indicate that they built a custom solution for this inside their plugin.

So, I think that currently WordPress doesn't yet support unbundling of
language packs for plugins. From Google, there seems no new information
on this idea in the last year, as far as plugins go (core now has a
solution) - is this correct? Anyone know if/when this might change?

Best wishes,
David

--
WooCommerce EU VAT compliance from Jan 2015 - https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-eu-vat-compliance/