[wp-hackers] When shady people resell your work...

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Wed Apr 9 12:39:20 UTC 2014

Dino Termini wrote:
> While this is allowed by the GPL license, they re-branded it as Keyword
> Swarm and removed all the references to the original author.

If they remove attribution, they're in violation of the license, so
their license is void.

If this is the case, here's what I'd do:

1. Send them a DMCA request
2. If they don't respond, send their host a DMCA request directly
3. If *they* don't respond, send their registrar a DMCA request (they
probably won't do anything, but might contact the host and tell them to
respond)
4. If nothing has happened still, send Google/etc DMCA requests to get
them removed from search results

----

DMCA is the most powerful tool you have, but it only applies if they've
removed attribution. If they add attribution, unless there are other
license violations, you can't use the DMCA.

Also note: If your premium add-ons contain copyrighted resources (not
PHP, since that's covered by the GPL; images or CSS aren't automatically
though), you can also use that.

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>