[wp-hackers] WPMS sharing child theme elements

"Jayson T. Coté" askjayson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 19:15:36 UTC 2013

Whats the best way to share child theme elements in WPMS?

My client is using the Genesis Framework with child themes for each blog.
Every Child blog is using the same child theme with some slight variations,
different CSS, template functions, nav menus, widgets etc.

1) As WPMS is configured to have multiple independent blogs,
can blogs share the same installation of a child theme or do they need
to have their own version installed?

I would like to make global changes that will affect all sites.

Then to deal with the unique elements in the child themes,  I was thinking of creating
theme settings that would allow for the variables to be stored in a db table and then
called into the child theme using the blog id as the identifier.

I know I can create a plugin to network activate to install to each theme,
but the goal is to control all child theme data from one location?

For Example:

Blog ID	Logo File		GA ID		Sidebar		Widgets

1		logo1.png		ua-123455	sidebar-1.php	Featured Posts, Custom Menus
2		logo2.png		ua-123456	sidebar-2.php	Featured Posts, Archives
3		logo3.png		ua-123457	sidebar-3.php	Featured Posts, Search, Twitter

Has anyone dealt with this type of scenario?  I would love to hear your insight!

- Jayson