[wp-hackers] Lots of user meta

Jeff Rose mirepup at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 18:36:52 UTC 2013

Hoping for someone to tell me there's a better way to handle user data.

Let's suppose that I have a bunch of "contacts" or users of different
types. Clients and Employees for example. Each has different meta-data
needs. For example, employees would have Next of kin and clients would have
birthday (imagine way more complicated scenario) just to keep things
simple. But each type would have about 10 unique fields and a bunch of
common fields.

I know that the WordPress user form can be appended to in limited ways.
What's the best way to handle some large amounts of custom user information
in forms that various other users will have access to, at least in part?

I'm leaning toward a custom post type linked to the user - so I get the
form. But feel I may be overlooking something easy/obvious.

--
Jeff Rose