[wp-hackers] attack on wp-admin/install.php

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Wed Oct 9 17:35:47 UTC 2013

People tried to access the file because WordPress defaults to that file
when it thinks it's not installed.

Does that make sense? WP couldn't tell it was installed, and thus
assumed it was NOT and people who visted wanted to install. That's the
only logical explanation for the URLs you gave us. Like ttrss pulling
the install.php? That logically happens when it's actually trying to get
a feed, but WP says "Oh hai! I'm not installed!"

This is 100% expected behavior :)

I'm very certain it's not a hack (nb I deal with hacked sites for WP at
my company every single day, it's my job, I'm pretty familiar with how
hacked WP behaves). Or rather, if it IS a hack, it's not that people are
attacking install.php, it's that they somehow made your wp-config.php go
away, or the DB tables.

Honestly though, what we need to know (and what you don't know) is what
did the install.php page say when you hit it? Did it say "no DB" or
"There's no config file..." If you go to /wp-admin/install.php now,
you'll see 'Hai! Already installed!' And I think that was NOT what
people saw. If it was? Then MAYBE you have a brute force attempt (which
is not a hack BTW). But I think not.

I don't think your server admin is wrong, but I do think that you don't
clearly understand how WP handles this sort of thing, so there's some
confusion in explanations to the admin :/

--
Mika A Epstein (aka Ipstenu)
http://ipstenu.org | http://halfelf.org