[wp-hackers] php -v

Ian Dunn ian at iandunn.name
Fri Nov 8 17:35:17 UTC 2013

On 11/8/13 8:36 AM, Eric Mann wrote:
> My hesitation here is the same as Helen
> pointed out earlier - most end users have no idea what PHP is, how it
> works, what version they're running, or how to upgrade.  By hiding new
> features behind a versioned wall, we're introducing a world where WordPress
> is advertised to have X feature, but when Jimmy Blogger clicks the
> auto-install button on his hosting dashboard, X feature is nowhere to be
> found.  He'll blame WordPress, not his host, for the discrepancy.

What if instead of hiding the feature, we replaced it with a short
explanation? So, if they have 5.3+ then the screen for Feature X works
like normal, but if they don't then the screen will still appear in
menus, etc, but when the user visits the page they'll see a paragraph
saying something like, "Your server is running a very old version of
PHP, and it is not capable of supporting Feature X. Please contact your
hosting company or administrator and ask them to upgrade your site to
the latest version of PHP."

That way the user would know that the feature exists, and that their
hosting company is to blame for why it doesn't work, and that the action
they need to take is to contact the host.