[wp-hackers] WordPress Maturity (was)Re: hate

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed May 1 03:54:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Mike Schinkel <mike at newclarity.net> wrote:

> > See a fresh new API for themes and Image handling. Indirectly they
> benefit from it but hard to say how.
>
> Those were added AFAICT only because there was an end-user feature being
> added that needed the API.

Image handling was added because IM generates better images than GD. It
paired nicely with end-user media features, but it was arguably a user
feature as well. The way it got written — as an API that allowed for more
image manipulation editors to be added — benefits developers, of course.

WP_Theme was an upgrade of an existing API. (I say that generously, because
what we had previously was terrible and hardly an API.) While it made some
things in 3.4 a bit easier to develop, it really was just something that
had been grating on my nerves for years because it hindered a number of
other things. It actually came out of the desire for theme headers to be
fully internationalized (a major 3.4 push) and after realizing all of the
potential performance gains.

> The example of posts relationship is also something that is a bad example.
>
> Again, not a bad example. The fact is that I submitted the ticket 3 years
> ago and rather than have the team recognize the need many people who didn't
> understand the use-case explained:
>
> "This seems to be straightforward plugin territory to me. Fairly niche
> use, etc." - Really? I hope I don't have to explain why that comment was
> shortsighted.

Of course it was. My point is: I fail to see a problem with playing the
long game here. I do believe it remains plugin material. I also do believe
that it *could* become core material in the future. I just don't see why we
need to rush it. But also, just because it doesn't yet make sense for core,
it doesn't mean it isn't suitable for development or use.

I would be interested to know what types of open tickets are a critical
> path to object relationships?

Yes, there *are* a number of new APIs and schema changes that are a higher
priority, and that do need to happen before object relationships are
considered. (They relate primarily to the taxonomy schema and API.)

If the latter then the solution (for a need of this magnitude) is to bless
> a team of people who have the need and commission them to build and test
> the features, maybe even over a period of several releases, instead of just
> ignoring the requirement for 3-5 years. I am certain that for features like
> this all that would be needed would be for the core team to ask.

???. A process like this is already happening. Look no further than the
Posts 2 Posts plugin itself. A number of us like it, and we strongly
support what scribu and others have done in that space. I'm not even
questioning that P2P is ready for core. I don't think core is ready for P2P.

Often, when we decline to take action on something, plugins are developed
to fill the void. This is precisely what you just asked for — over a period
of several releases, one or more developers are building and testing the
features. Even if they are not "blessed" in some cases, we do pay
attention. My point is, we're not "ignoring" it. We're deliberately letting
things play out at the plugin level. If you want something so bad, build
it. It doesn't need to be in core — immediately, or ever — to be a
successful contribution to the community.

Nacin