[wp-hackers] Theme File Structure

joseph gabito dunhakdis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 03:35:59 UTC 2013

You should be keeping files in the theme that are responsible for the
'skin' and the majority of the 'front-end' functionality of your site. If
your site is becoming too hard to manage as you add functionality, you
should develop an individual plugin to handle separate tasks. This way you
can cut the system down into pieces making it easier to manage.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Andrew Bartel <andrew.bartel at gmail.com>wrote:

> Depends, is this going to be a publicly released theme?  If not, I often
> abstract functionality that isn't directly content display related to one
> off plugins for that project only.  I started doing that after reading this
> article: http://wpcandy.com/teaches/how-to-create-a-functionality-plugin
>
> For themes that going to be reused across projects I generally follow the
> basics of the file structure you described.
>
> -Andrew Bartel
>

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Dobri <dyordan1 at ramapo.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Thought I could borrow your brain for something:
> >
> > I'm working on a theme that is very specialized and very complicated. The
> > more I add to it, the more of a hell it becomes to manage. My current
> > strategy is to have individual folders for sections of functionality and
> in
> > each folder have a main file that includes pretty much everything in that
> > folder with some comments as to what each include is responsible for.
> Then,
> > all of those "organizer" files are included in my functions.php file.
> Other
> > than that, in the root of the theme I have a couple of templates and the
> > usual sidebar/header/footer/style/index/etc. I also have a resources
> folder
> > that contains extra css, js files and images/icons/etc. each type in a
> > subfolder. Lastly, I have a utility folder that is not used by WordPress
> > but is theme-related functionality that is used by automated scripting on
> > the server. Is this a good file structure for the theme? It seems that
> all
> > the folders are just a bunch of layers of nothing since everything ends
> up
> > being included in the funct
> >  ions.php file anyway. Is there a better approach to organizing all of
> the
> > code?
> >
> > TL;DR: What is a good way to organize files in a complicated theme?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > ~Dobri

dunhakdis