[wp-hackers] get_user_meta cached

Matthias Breuer mail at matthiasbreuer.com
Wed Mar 27 18:51:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

upon calling update_user_meta, which is calling the underlying update_metadata function, the cache for that item gets deleted (wp_cache_delete($object_id, $meta_type . '_meta'); L. 156 in wp-includes/meta.php).

Could it be that you are referencing the user meta in your code before the POST request is handled, this would explain how you get an outdated (not yet updated) value. If this is not the case, check try the clean_user_cache function, you can pass a user ID, or an WP_User object.

Normally what i do in a situation like this, and what i think is good practice, is to redirect the user after the POST request is handled to the same page with wp_redirect. This is good, because it clears all POST data and doesn't give an annoying message when the user accidentally or intentionally hits reload (also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post/Redirect/Get).

I don't know where exactly you handle the POST request, but doing it on init or a different appropriate action can reduce the load time and handles the redirect early enough to be sent with the headers.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask further questions if anything is unclear or you need more direct pointers.

Best,
Matthias