[wp-hackers] Admin Login Brute Force Attacks

Alex Rayan alexrayan69 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 18:54:56 UTC 2013

Hi Chris,

I'm also managing dozens of Wordpress instances and have "limit login
attempts" installed on most of these sites. I also disabled the error
message that is displayed on incorrect username / password attempt by
default since this message shows specifically what (username or password)
was incorrect.
With that disabled brute force attacks are pretty useless with a strong
username / password combination so one wouldn't need to worry about that.
I also have "Activity Monitor" plugin installed that allows you to monitor
selectively what activity happened in the backend including login attempts
with incorrect passwords and usernames tried.
Most of the logs of Activity Monitor show that the first and only username
tried in brute force attacks is "admin". And since the error message for
incorrect login is disabled, there is no way for the code to know that
"admin" username doesn't exist, so the code usually keeps trying to "guess"
the password for the username "admin".
In short, brute force attacks is a common occurrence, but by disabling the
error message we could significantly limit the possibility of "guessing"
the right username / password combination.

Best regards,
Alex