[wp-hackers] WordPress Should Delete WP Version information on head

Dre Armeda dre at armeda.com
Tue Mar 19 18:26:31 UTC 2013

Removing the version info will not stop attackers using automated
mechanisms looking for known vulnerabilities, removing it would
encourage obscure practices with minimal positive impact. If the
argument is you're going to stop a couple script kiddies, then sure, it
can slightly reduce your risk, please focus on my use of slightly.
Beyond that, don't be fooled to think this will prohibit attackers from
learning what vulnerabilities are running on your WordPress install,
that in itself is an obscure line of thinking. This is the nature of
having software online, there's inherit risk of attack, the percentage
of risk will never be zero!

Simon: Although I don't think it would send a clear picture to typical
users, the need to educate on the importance of upgrading is indeed the
bigger challenge here! We need to make it higher priority in terms of
awareness and notifying users that being outdated can cause them further
issue and frustration. This isn't a WordPress problem per se, but
WordPress surely gets blamed as the "insecure" piece of the puzzle.

Thanks,
Dre Armeda
@dremeda