[wp-hackers] Missing upload filter and api calls to api.wordpress.org

John Blackbourn johnbillion+wp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 15:38:57 UTC 2013

On 19 June 2013 15:41, Gustav Olsen <gno at one.com> wrote:
> Another thing I've struggled with is stopping the version checks WordPress
> sends when a user logs in to admin. I'm using DISALLOW_FILE_MODS as I do not
> wish any users start those updates themselves, and thus I do not need to
> check for new versions. I feel that WordPress should know not to do that,
> but it does not seem to care that updating is disabled. Is there any other
> way to disable the calls to api.wordpress.org, without placing: "127.0.0.1
> api.wordpress.org" in the /etc/hosts file on the server?

I'm not sure about the first point in your email, so I'll leave that
to someone else, but there are plugins available for disabling
automatic updates to WordPress:

 * http://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-wordpress-core-update/
 * http://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-wordpress-plugin-updates/
 * http://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-wordpress-theme-updates/

Your site will still perform calls to the browser update check
endpoint though. There's also an API call on the About WordPress
screen which fetches the list of contributors. I'm not sure if there's
a plugin to disable those calls, or indeed disable all wordpress.org
API calls at once. Might be worth a Google.

John