[wp-hackers] on the role of guid

Fabrizio Regini freegenie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 10:14:09 UTC 2013

Hi everybody,
I  was looking for info about the guid field in wp_posts and I stumbled
on this page, which states that you should never-ever change the guid
field even if you change your site's domain.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL#Important_GUID_Note

I've recently started to hack around some wordpress plugins, and I noted
that at least one of those I encountered rely on the guid field as a
source of redirect.
As I understand this is clearly in contrast with guidelines as described
in the above page. If the guid field is to be used as a globally unique
identifier for the post, wouldn't it be better to rely on a kind of SHA
hash?
Doing that will avoid any wrong use of the guid field by less informed
plugin developers.

What do you think?

-f