[wp-hackers] GitHub submodule theme development?

Harry Metcalfe harry at dxw.com
Mon Jul 8 08:46:58 UTC 2013

Since we're having a git workflow discussion, here's ours :)

We make wp-content into a repo. For themes or plugins that are reused in
other projects, we add submodules that are shared. For things specific
to this project, they just live in the main wp-content repo, or
occasionally in their own submodule if that makes it easier to apply
updates.

Once we've got the wp-content directory set up we use Whippet to start a
local development server, and that takes care of the core files for us:

https://github.com/dxw/whippet

We also usually use Less for CSS, so the wp-content repo usually has a a
node manifest and a gruntfile so we can compile and minify css (and do
some other things) in the background while we're developing.