[wp-hackers] GitHub submodule theme development?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 20:07:55 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Brad Parbs <brad at bradparbs.com> wrote:
> I use Git submodules symlinked into my themes folders when developing. On client projects (those w/ themes and plugins) I VC the whole install, with WP in a submodule, keeping it super clean in the repo.

That's cool! I did not see any special setup in
https://github.com/bradp/wpeagles ... Do you happen to have a GitHub
repo with an an example of the theme submodule/symlink setup?

Or, if it's easier and/or not too much trouble, maybe you could
type-out how you have your setups for theme dev?

For example, here's my current setup (like WordPress-Skeleton):

[snip]

+---.htaccess
+---content
|   \---mu-plugins
|   \---plugins
|   \---themes
|      \--- ???
|   \---index.php
+---index.php
+---wp (WordPress submodule)

[/snip]

In the above, I've put "???" where I'm curious to learn about the
details of your setup.

For example, on your local machine, I assume you just add a simple
symlink to the theme repository? How do you handle the symlinks on a
production machine? Where do you put the theme
folders/repositories/submodules on production?

Sorry if dumb questions, I'm just trying to get a sense of how folks
like to develop themes using VC (whilst VCing everything else). :)

Thanks Brad!!! I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Micky