[wp-hackers] Searching for plugins on wordpress.org ...

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Sat Jan 19 10:37:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm not looking to "game the system", but I am a bit curious if anyone
"in the know" can explain how the search for plugins on wordpress.org works.

Obviously, any exact match comes top. So the clever guy who took the
name "backup" gets his plugin top every time when you search for "backup".

But the plugin that comes second... "6Scan Backup". Look at the stats:
Downloads: 7,262
Average rating: 3.1 out of 5 stars (8 5 star, 7 1 star)
0 "it works" ratings on the current version of WP
0 support requests either opened or closed in recent months

Now, how does that come second? Compare, to pick a not-at-all-random
example, my own backup plugin, "UpdraftPlus backup":

Downloads: 25,014
Average rating: 12 ratings, all 5 star
1 "it works" rating on current version of WP
44 out of 47 support requests closed in the last 2 months

I'm not saying "mine should come second". There are various other backup
plugins that would rate as well as mine. But I am very curious as to how
"6scan backup" is managing to come second, and how it manages to rate
higher than plugins that appear to score better on every metric.

Anyone have any inside knowledge?

David

--
WordShell - WordPress fast from the CLI - www.wordshell.net