[wp-hackers] Child plugins (add-ons) (Dino Termini)

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Sat Feb 16 23:24:29 UTC 2013

On Feb 16, 2013, at 6:12 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> Guideline 8: No sending executable code via third-party systems.
> David's description of an "add-on manager" system that replaced the
> free plugin with the paid version would not be allowed in the
> directory.
>
> However, as Marko pointed out, his scheme is too complex as well as
> being completely unnecessary. The "base" plugin can easily be the free
> one, not violate any guidelines of any sort, and still leave action
> and filter hooks in it for the secondary, paid, add-ons to be sold
> elsewhere (ie. not on wp.org). And as was pointed out earlier, it's
> possible for a plugin to check for its own updates from anywhere.
> Those add-on plugins can check for updates from wherever they're
> hosted, while the free-base remains on wp.org.

Thanks, that's really what I was asking. It was more of a policy question vs. a technical one but I'm a "code thinker" so seeing code helps me understand.

OTOH would you mind clarifying "No sending executable code via third-party systems?"  It sounds like that would disallow the downloading of an add-on because that's sending executable code via a third party system?  Do you mind to clarify by giving a violating example?

-Mike