[wp-hackers] finding out the top 5 source ( source is a custom taxonomy ), in a given category

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Mon Feb 4 00:02:44 UTC 2013

IMHO this is probably a case where using a custom tax is not the
optimal solution *if* you have no need to group posts by source for
primary querying.
If a post meta value was used instead, or even if the post_author
field, it would have greatly simplified your data structure.

See http://ottopress.com/2011/when-to-not-use-a-custom-taxonomy/

With your current structure, you'll need to do a manual SQL if you
want any kind of performance.. join term_relationships and
term_taxonomy against eachother, probably join that against
term_taxonomy again, and  order by the count field..  The other option
is to query for all posts in Category XYZ, loop over them, get the
tags for each post, sum and filter.. but that's a rather expensive
process.

You might be able to find an article online about finding the most
popular TAGS in a category, you can simply change the taxonomy names
and it'd work as expected..  I certainly can't find one right now.