[wp-hackers] WP uploader addition question

Luke Bryan lukebryan at sharefaith.com
Sat Feb 2 04:25:44 UTC 2013

Greetings,

I have recently been wondering about extending the wordpress uploaders
introduced in 3.5.
I know the 3.5 uploaders are meant for extensibility with Backbone.js, but
I've been having a hard time finding examples.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14192292
The lack of answer would seem to suggest that for custom uploaders with
more options, we must make our own template, or perhaps make a similar
uploader based on the media-views.js and other examples?

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/76980/add-a-menu-item-to-wordpress-3-5-media-manager
This answer looks like the new right-way to extend the uploader?
Unfortunately, it doesn't show in the other window-style, called by the
featured-image-picker, or the custom code "wp.media({title:'new',
multiple:false}).open()". A similar problem exists in Nextgen now, since
you can't select a NextGen image from the featured-image.

Is there a recommended way to add a nextgen-style picker, or an additional
option to the 'media' category, for both the post-uploader and the
featured-image style uploader?

Best regards,
Luke