[wp-hackers] Need a clarification regarding wordpress.org plugin guidelines for the new version of our plugin

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Dec 23 11:55:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Nicola Peluchetti <
nicola.peluchetti at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are concerned that we do not run afoul of rule number 5 in the plugin
> guidelines, specifically- "Similarly, you cannot "cripple" functionality in
> the plugin and then ask for payment or provide a code to unlock the
> functionality”.

That is not what is meant by crippleware in that guideline. If the code is
in the plugin, but disabled until payment is made, then that is crippled.
If the code is something separate you must buy, then that is not.

You can't have code on WordPress.org that intentionally doesn't work. All
code in the plugin on the WordPress.org site should be functional and free.
But simply not including some code isn't "crippling" it.

-Otto