[wp-hackers] Is there a reason get_header/sidebar/footer() do nothave filters?

Josh Pollock jpollock412 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 23:03:35 UTC 2013

I recently went looking for the filter to change which sidebar is outputted
and was a little shocked to find there are no filters in get_sidebar() or
in get_header() and get_footer(). Does anyone know if this was a conscious
choice or not? If so, what was the reason?

I'd be happy to write a patch to add some, but I'm wondering if there is
some valid reason I'm missing for not using them?

What I really want to be able to do is something like this:

`
function mobile_sidebar( $name ) {
if ( wp_is_mobile() ) {
     $name = mobile;
  }
}
add_filter( 'the_sidebar', 'mobile_sidebar');
`

This would allow me to add different markup to the sidebar on mobile, to
change its size, location, use a jQuery plugin to make the sidebar slide in
and out, etc. I could also change which widget area is shown or show no
sidebar at all.

Thanks,
Josh