[wp-hackers] Google Content Experiments & wp

Daniel Dvorkin elrabino at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 20:37:46 UTC 2013

An (convoluted but cool) approach I used a while back:

1) Have two (or more) child themes of your main theme with the variations
you want.
2) Hook somewhere early (like parse_request) and check if the url has some
experiment data. Set a cookie for the user with the version he got so you
keep serving the same version to that user. Of course first check for this
same cookie, if the user already have it just ignore the experiment ID vars.
3) Filter both the 'stylesheet' and 'template' vars (example
https://gist.github.com/MZAWeb/6235272) and set them to the path of the
corresponding child theme (or the parent theme if it's not coming from an
experiment).

Then you can use that same cookie value on your checkout to measure
conversions for each.

Daniel Dvorkin
Móvil: +54 (0261) 15-315-2244
Skype: mzaweb